2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> [Removal/Change] H@H Downloader, For people who run H@H

post Mar 13 2016, 17:26
Post #1
Tenboro

Admin

With the new resampling system, the H@H Downloader will currently only download original images for new galleries, rather than the old resamples. While galleries uploaded prior to a couple of days ago will still be using the resamples from the old system, those will be phased out over the next few months in favor of resamples from the new one.

Similar to the proxy functionality, with the addition of static ranges, using the Downloader will likely be detrimental to a client if the cache is close to full. And with the resample change, this effect will be exacerbated since the files downloaded will tend to be larger.

As such, if the H@H Downloader functionality were to remain, I would have to rework it to use the new resampler. While this would probably be feasible, my preferred solution would be to phase it out entirely and instead make it so that running H@H gives you free archive downloads similar to what you'd get for donations.

The archivers have plenty of capacity, and this both reduces complexity and completely avoids the problem where files downloaded with H@H will overflow the cache and make it discard actually useful files. I am also considering adding an archiving option for at least one tier of resamples, probably the 1280x one, for people who don't care about "absurd resolution" images.

So, for those of you who use this, would there be any reasons why you would want H@H to handle the downloading rather than have it give you free archive downloads instead?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Report PostGo to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Mar 13 2016, 18:33
Post #2
Maximum_Joe

Legendary Poster
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 500 (Dovahkiin)

I know I've loved the feature (3,000+ hathdl downloaded). That being said if the client rewarded free archive DLs I'd have zero objections.

--------------------
Try to fill your life with good things.
+Quote Post

post Mar 13 2016, 22:19
Post #3
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Group: Global Mods
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Mar 13 2016, 15:26) *
I am also considering adding an archiving option for at least one tier of resamples, probably the 1280x one, for people who don't care about "absurd resolution" images.
I have been asking for this for years!

I'm not running H@H for more than a year so i'm not sure if my answer can be considered, but here goes nothing: The only three times i used the H@H downloader was for the purpose of getting the image resamples. The galleries were too big (+3GBs) to waste disk space on, i used the H@H downloader to get the resonably sized resamples (~300MBs). It saved me several CPU cycles to resize the images myself.

If we get an archiver for resamples i will have no use for the H@H downloader.

--------------------
QUOTE(blue penguin @ Jun 21 2021, 17:24)
For 10 years of my life I have refused to add if-else blocks in order to support internet explorer idiocy, am not going to start doing it now in order to support google chrome's idiocy. Sorry folks. As harsh as the advice sounds my advice will be: use a browser that follows IETF standards.
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 02:26
Post #4
Chunga

Casual Poster
Group: Members
Level 403 (Godslayer)

I think I have used the H@H Downloader 2 or 3 times since I been running the client (1+ year), if I want to download anything is usually for my personal collection so I always use the archives feature considering I keep everything zipped.

In my case I don't mind if you phase out the the old system and instead provide free archives for those that run the client but can't/wont donate.
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 03:25
Post #5
soliloquy

hi
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 419 (Godslayer)

Would this add onto donators who already get free archives?

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 03:41
Post #6
mike23

Casual Poster
Level 367 (Godslayer)

It's much easier to automate with H@H handling the downloads. Since I always have it running, it's convenient to let it do the downloads over time as well.

I probably use H@H downloader more than almost anyone and it doesn't seem to hurt my scores. Currently sitting at 1000/10000 with 25gb+ downloaded in the past couple days.

If the number of free archive downloads was around 5-40 per day, it probably wouldn't be worth it for me personally to keep running H@H.
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 11:42
Post #7
Sapo84

Deus lo vult
Level 500 (Ponyslayer)

Never used downloader myself (I run H@H on a dedicated server so no point is using it), would be super-happy to see it converted to free archives biggrin.gif

Moreover I think the hit-rate/static ranges are slowly decreasing so it would not be helpful to keep features that would fill the cache with the original images (which are big and probably not often requested).
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 12:37
Post #8
karyl123

Hey Tayo !!!
Level 452 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Mar 13 2016, 22:26) *

I am also considering adding an archiving option for at least one tier of resamples, probably the 1280x one, for people who don't care about "absurd resolution" images.

I LOVE YOU
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 12:41
Post #9
karyl123

Hey Tayo !!!
Level 452 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(blue penguin @ Mar 14 2016, 03:19) *

I have been asking for this for years!

I'm not running H@H for more than a year so i'm not sure if my answer can be considered, but here goes nothing: The only three times i used the H@H downloader was for the purpose of getting the image resamples. The galleries were too big (+3GBs) to waste disk space on, i used the H@H downloader to get the resonably sized resamples (~300MBs). It saved me several CPU cycles to resize the images myself.

If we get an archiver for resamples i will have no use for the H@H downloader.

bruh, do you know what jpeg quality the 1280x currently use ?

i personally download everything (absurd archive size) then convert it to jpeg quality 75.

I dont know how to see jpeg quality,
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 16:45
Post #10
pwet

Newcomer
Level 448 (Godslayer)

I'm absolutely in favor of this. I mainly download archives and never used the downloader feature.
Do you already have an estimate of how much free archives we would get?
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 18:01
Post #11
blue penguin

in umbra, igitur, pugnabimus
Group: Global Mods
Level 500 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(karyl123 @ Mar 14 2016, 10:41) *
bruh, do you know what jpeg quality the 1280x currently use ?
I was curious as well, and asked Tenb. Se here: /index.php?showt...p;#entry4399078

--------------------
QUOTE(blue penguin @ Jun 21 2021, 17:24)
For 10 years of my life I have refused to add if-else blocks in order to support internet explorer idiocy, am not going to start doing it now in order to support google chrome's idiocy. Sorry folks. As harsh as the advice sounds my advice will be: use a browser that follows IETF standards.
+Quote Post

post Mar 14 2016, 20:37
Post #12
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(pwet @ Mar 14 2016, 15:45) *

Do you already have an estimate of how much free archives we would get?

It would depend on the hitrate of the clients, as it does today. I would try to set it so that, considering it adds the option of getting originals, you couldn't justly make the case that they lost anything.

As part of that whole thing I'd probably change the free quota from a number of archives to a number of MB, converted based on what the average downloaded archive size is today.
+Quote Post

post Mar 15 2016, 02:50
Post #13
mozilla browser

Nutscrape Navigator
Level 500 (Godslayer)

Bruh. Time to start downloading multi-gb archives with the free doggie bags.

One time pain for long term gain.

--------------------
WTS Crystal packs, Precursor Artifacts, and other japtem

Dark mage: Staff Cap Robe Gloves Pants Shoes
Fire mage: Staff Cap Robe Gloves Pants Shoes
1H: Rapier Shield Helmet Armor Gauntlets Leggings Boots
+Quote Post

post Mar 15 2016, 04:01
Post #14
Panuru

il principe del regno della pasta
Level 428 (Godslayer)

I exclusively use the H@H download for basically the reason mike said - it's easy to grab the hathdl file and walk away. Replacing that as a download in the browser and an unzip is only slightly more of a hassle.

As long as free remains free, I only have a weak objection of preference.

--------------------

ろけっとぱんちわゆうじょうのあかし
Thank you, for unintentionally prolonging my life. Considering what I gained, this token expression of gratitude in the form of an increase in the green numbers under one's profile picture on a titty-cartoon site's forum hardly seems sufficient.
+Quote Post

post Mar 16 2016, 22:14
Post #15
lotto09

Only likes 2D girls
Level 279 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Tenboro @ Mar 13 2016, 22:26) *

Pretty please

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Mar 18 2016, 04:00
Post #16
Amalyne

Active Poster
Level 379 (Godslayer)

I'm in favor of getting free downloads for running H@H. I used the hathdl a few times and stopped when I realized they were re-samples. Generally when I download and archive the galleries I want the high resolution files being neatly zipped up anyways so what I've been doing is selling the hath gained from H@H into credits and buying GP to download the galleries.

Getting free downloads for running H@H lessens the need to convert hath into gp which I am in favor of. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

post Mar 18 2016, 21:22
Post #17
G Just G

Casual Poster
Level 167 (Lord)

Please make this change! I would love to get an archive down loader equivalent from H@H.

One question: Will this also increase the limit of files on the H@H network to be above 10MB?

--------------------
Now 27% less broken!
+Quote Post

post Mar 18 2016, 22:02
Post #18
Tenboro

Admin

QUOTE(G Just G @ Mar 18 2016, 20:22) *

One question: Will this also increase the limit of files on the H@H network to be above 10MB?

It's likely that the site will support >10MB files before H@H does, and at that point, the downloader would break without additional work. Which is one of the reasons I'm looking at removing it.
+Quote Post

post Mar 18 2016, 23:33
Post #19
Dynellen

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Level 433 (Godslayer)

Since H@H doesn't allow me to download full resolution images I've never seriously used the feature, especially since it's way slower to download with than the direct download or torrents.

So no, I have zero objections in removing the feature.

--------------------
Currently available bounties:
Translation:
[Muronaga Chaashuu] Zenshin Oppai Chichi [English, script only, 20 pages] 4,120,000 Credits + 1,516 Hath
[Kawahagitei] Idol wa Fan no Semen Tank Chapter 3 [English, script only] 6,850,000 Credits + 4,050 Hath
[PIero] ANGEL Club 2022-7 [English, script only, 26 pages] 3,400,000 Credits + 460 Hath
[Sakkuri High (Tamada Heijun)] Karada mo Seikaku mo Mecha [English, script only] 5,000,000 Credits + 300 Hath

Editing:
[Kawahagitei] Shishunki Massakari Chapter 5 [Edit] 11,000,000 Credits + 3,000 Hath
[Rabbit's Foot (maze*)] Tricolore Lolinity [Edit, 26 pages] 1,500,000 Credits + 150 Hath
[Namonashi] COMIC ExE 31 [Edit] 1,500,000 Credits + 150 Hath

Feel free to contribute to my bounties or contact me if you're interested in translating/editing them.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

post Mar 19 2016, 01:44
Post #20
G Just G

Casual Poster
Level 167 (Lord)

Oh, I misread this. I prefer the H@H downloader as a feature to remain. I currently have 43,235 .hathdl files on my machine with roughly 39,220 unique galleries currently downloaded through the hath downloader.

I find the download feature to be the only way to pull large quantities of galleries from E-Hentai without tripping the excessive page load warnings/bans as I can balance out my hathdl files across 7 H@H clients.

Would it be possible to just change what the downloader is retrieving? Could it pull the zip archive from the site instead of loading each gallery image? This way the downloaded file never loads into cache and just ends up in the downloaded directory of H@H. As you already have the token request system in place it shouldn't be that hard to change what you're pointing at to create an archive sent/request.

--------------------
Now 27% less broken!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: thedemacia

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2022 - 08:31