> Random translation help

post Nov 7 2011, 08:27
Post #1
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Group: Members
Level 54 (Expert)

I plan to use this thread in the future if necessary, and others are welcome to as well. And, without further ado...

迷宮の地下で繋がれているよりはマシだろうって。。。
I'm effing lost on this. The context might help, but it's just a weird sentence, to me. I'd elaborate on why right now, but I'd rather not color anyone's interpretation.

Context (the previous two lines in the same frame of reference):
色々あって今はコイツ剣士レオンの相棒をしている
自由になる為に不本意ながら主従の契約という形ではあるけれどね
(Just in case: I don't need any help with these lines.)

There's a couple of other lines that might be related, but I doubt are. I think the lines above are what it springs from, and I've made an assumption at the moment as to what it's supposed to mean, but I'd really like to hear anyone else's take on it.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Report PostGo to the top of the page
+Quote Post

401 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)

post Jan 2 2012, 20:49
Post #41
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

QUOTE(cheesey @ Jan 2 2012, 05:07) *

Hey guys. Anyone have any idea what the kanji in this pic are?

Attached Image

Hooray for fiendishly small, handwritten kanji, right?

It could, maybe, be sekkyou (説教)...does that fit your context at all?

I'm fairly sure the second one is 教, and that the first one has the 'iu' (言う) radical, but the right side of that one is hard to be sure about. I can't find any kanji that looks like I think the right side of that kanji does, but it's entirely possible it smushed together some details so that my impression of the kanji is wrong. The only other word ending in 教 and starting with a kanji with the 'iu' radical is 調教, but no matter how squished it is, I don't think the first kanji should be 調.

And while I'm at it, what exactly does コンビニ感覚 mean? I have a hunch from the individual words but it'd be negligent not to check.

Probably just "the feel of"/"(gives) the impression of" "a convenience store".

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 2 2012, 21:09
Post #42
cheesey

Active Poster
Level 284 (Godslayer)

Thanks People.

Yeah I spent quite a while looking up kanji that could match and I came up with 説教 but was not convinced because of what looks like a slanted stroke on top of that first kanji. But now that you've come to the same conclusion I think I can have some confidence that it is 説教. It also makes reasonable sense in context.

And oops, it should be コンビニ感覚, and when I google that as a phrase I get results in which context something to do with a convenience store may not make sense, like 'コンビニ感覚で温泉へ!'.

This post has been edited by cheesey: Jan 2 2012, 21:11
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 00:04
Post #43
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

QUOTE(cheesey @ Jan 2 2012, 07:09) *

And oops, it should be コンビニ感覚, and when I google that as a phrase I get results in which context something to do with a convenience store may not make sense, like 'コンビニ感覚で温泉へ!'.

I'm getting the sense that it's got a few meanings maybe.

One, like in '...de onsen he', is maybe "like it ain't no thang", right? No different than walking to the corner drug store (or convenience store), so to speak, a common or perhaps even trivial event. Or just, like it's convenient...and this might have a negative implication, like [www.toku-chi.com] here (病院をコンビニ感覚で使わないで, the gist of the phrase here being, using something (the hospital, specifically an emergency hospital here) freely like it's a convenience store).

I've looked at a few things, and those seem like the most common meanings, as far as I can tell.

This post has been edited by PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore: Jan 3 2012, 00:08

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 06:30
Post #44
cheesey

Active Poster
Level 284 (Godslayer)

Yeah, I think those meanings seem likely as well. I'll have another look around to see what I can confirm it.

Thanks again.

This post has been edited by cheesey: Jan 3 2012, 06:30
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 07:13
Post #45
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 183 (Lord)

Peopledontdancenomore is correct.

--------------------
www.N04h.net
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 14:30
Post #46
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 187 (Lord)

Can someone translate this into japanese (trying to contact a Pixiv artist, and i'm guessing they don't speak english): "About your CG sets, do you have clean textless versions of them? Also, do you have any upcoming works?"

--------------------
NOTICE: In light of everything going on with the EH forums, you may direct contact me, Super Shanko, at the following locations for all your inquiries as shit’s popping off. Any of these would be your best chance of contacting me for future scan shit, questions and all that good stuff for hopefully a temporary thing.( T_T)

Twitter: @Super_Shanko
Deviant Art: SuperShanko
Email: [email protected]
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 15:26
Post #47
N04h

N04h_the_sheep
Level 183 (Lord)

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Jan 3 2012, 19:30) *

Can someone translate this into japanese (trying to contact a Pixiv artist, and i'm guessing they don't speak english): "About your CG sets, do you have clean textless versions of them? Also, do you have any upcoming works?"

(name)さんのCG集についてですが、文字なしバージョンはありますか?

それと、これから発表する作品はありますか?

--------------------
www.N04h.net
+Quote Post

post Jan 3 2012, 15:44
Post #48
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 187 (Lord)

Haa~ Thank you N04h (very helpful forums).

--------------------
NOTICE: In light of everything going on with the EH forums, you may direct contact me, Super Shanko, at the following locations for all your inquiries as shit’s popping off. Any of these would be your best chance of contacting me for future scan shit, questions and all that good stuff for hopefully a temporary thing.( T_T)

+Quote Post

post Jan 10 2012, 11:02
Post #49
xxaimlessxx

Casual Poster
Level 81 (Hero)

携帯事件簿銭型雷
this is a drama name from a manga... i know what it says but i have no idea what kind of english name to give it. Can anyone help me out? At first i was just thinking of putting an XXXXX as a title when she says it but if i can get an english translation i'll replace it with that smile.gif

--------------------
I only do stuff that's good
K+ PLZ :)
+Quote Post

post Jan 10 2012, 12:35
Post #50
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

The Kindaichi anime uses "casebook" for 'jikenbo', while another couple (including a Detective Conan OVA) use "case file(s)", according to anidb. 'keitai' is easy and 'zenigatarai' is apparently just a name, though it makes less sense here than in the 'keitai deka' series name. But whatever, put it together for "Cell Phone Case Files, Zenigata Rai".

It certainly seems to be parodying 'keitai deka zenigata rai', but it comes out making little sense (as far as I can tell), so I don't know how to give a sensible translation.

This post has been edited by PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore: Jan 10 2012, 12:36

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 10 2012, 16:50
Post #51
xxaimlessxx

Casual Poster
Level 81 (Hero)

It doesn't matter, as long as it looks similar smile.gif thanks a bunch.

--------------------
I only do stuff that's good
K+ PLZ :)
+Quote Post

post Jan 14 2012, 13:06
Post #52
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 187 (Lord)

This here on the second page in the first panel under the bubble. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Super Shanko: Jan 14 2012, 13:06

--------------------

+Quote Post

post Jan 14 2012, 14:22
Post #53
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

It's apparently saying "presidente" (twice, and maybe a little elongated).

I don't know Touhou, and I've tried looking to see if that made any sense, but I can't find any reason for it...at least, not in English. It might be a thing in Japanese, but I'm not patient enough to try to confirm the one sample I saw.

This post has been edited by PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore: Jan 14 2012, 14:23

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 14 2012, 17:02
Post #54
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 187 (Lord)

QUOTE(PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore @ Jan 14 2012, 00:22) *

It's apparently saying "presidente" (twice, and maybe a little elongated).

I don't know Touhou, and I've tried looking to see if that made any sense, but I can't find any reason for it...at least, not in English. It might be a thing in Japanese, but I'm not patient enough to try to confirm the one sample I saw.

Huh, that seems to be what the other guy said (but I wanted certainty), so that's that.... Once again, thanks alot.

--------------------

+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 08:35
Post #55
lightshader

Retired doujin editor
Level 326 (Godslayer)

I got a doujin translated, but there are few pages that the translator didn't want to translate so I was hoping someone would help out and do that for me. Seeing how it's a Maruarai doujin, who's known for writing dialogue by hand as opposed to typesetting, I'm offering larger reward of 3k credits per page. There's only one or two lines at the most per page to translate. Except for the second page, which has couple more so it's 9k credits for that page.

Also, I'd like a clarification on those two bubbles that the translator wasn't sure about. Again, 3k credits per translation. They're from pages 18 and 23 respectively.

Attached Image Attached Image

Much appreciated for your help!

This post has been edited by lightshader: Jan 17 2012, 08:36

--------------------
Magical girls are hazardous to our lives...
+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 09:07
Post #56
Super Shanko

Manga Handyman
Level 187 (Lord)

One panel
Attached Image

The wailing of tortured souls or just random SFX?

--------------------

+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 10:16
Post #57
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

QUOTE(lightshader @ Jan 16 2012, 18:35) *

I got a doujin translated, but there are few pages that the translator didn't want to translate so I was hoping someone would help out and do that for me. Seeing how it's a Maruarai doujin, who's known for writing dialogue by hand as opposed to typesetting, I'm offering larger reward of 3k credits per page. There's only one or two lines at the most per page to translate. Except for the second page, which has couple more so it's 9k credits for that page.

"I actually wanted to do something with a female teacher, but no such luck..." (Lit.: "it was impossible".)
"I just can't agree with this, Osakabe-sensei!!"

(I'm not sure how a couple of these kanji work out, and it looks a little involved otherwise, too, so I'll give you the rest of this and get back to you on this page.)

33 (I don't suppose you want sfx or the tiny vocalizations?)
Narration: Welcome, dear customers...

Narration: Please make love to me to your heart's content.

Narration: Once you're done, please sample our maid over here as well.

Narration: If you find her to your taste, please order her again.

"Further omake: Osakabe-sensei, nighttime maid ver."
"If I had to say, I'd say she's the trainer type.."
(This is as opposed to "trainee", but I'm not sure how to make it really clear.)

Also, I'd like a clarification on those two bubbles that the translator wasn't sure about. Again, 3k credits per translation. They're from pages 18 and 23 respectively.

Attached Image Attached Image

Much appreciated for your help!

I'm giving the romaji here in case you want to get your tl's take on it, since your tl knows the dj's story (and maybe School Rumble) where I don't.

Left
'Atashi yappa anta no joufu ni natta hou ga yokatta?'
"You sure I shouldn't've become your mistress?"
(Also remotely possible: lover/prostitute. The above is what it sounds like to me, but depending on the (series') story, she could possibly be wondering to herself.)

Right
'Kono baka wa tomokaku, mukou no futari wo nantoka shinai to, hontou ni raburabu ni nacchau~.'
"Leaving aside this idiot, if I don't do something about those two, they'll definitely become lovebirds."
(Maruarai actually used the squared symbol! If that weren't later in the doujin, too, I would have thought it was 'debu' instead of 'raburabu'... Also, I'm not real sure who's referred to by "those two", mostly because I'm not sure who 'raburabu' refers to; it could be a threeway thing somehow (given what looks like two girls besides her (who become lovey-dovey with the guy?)).)

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 10:20
Post #58
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

QUOTE(Super Shanko @ Jan 16 2012, 19:07) *

One panel
Attached Image

The wailing of tortured souls or just random SFX?

Looks like random grunts, exertion, and screaming.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 11:44
Post #59
lightshader

Retired doujin editor
Level 326 (Godslayer)

Thanks a bunch, People! I relayed your translation to my tl, and he appreciated it. The translation he got for the first one didn't make any sense but yours helped a lot. The squared symbol threw him off completely as well.

He'd like one more help on this particular bubble:

Attached Image

This post has been edited by lightshader: Jan 17 2012, 11:45

--------------------
Magical girls are hazardous to our lives...
+Quote Post

post Jan 17 2012, 13:54
Post #60
PeopleDon'tDanceNoMore

Veteran Poster
Level 54 (Expert)

QUOTE(lightshader @ Jan 16 2012, 21:44) *

Thanks a bunch, People! I relayed your translation to my tl, and he appreciated it. The translation he got for the first one didn't make any sense but yours helped a lot. The squared symbol threw him off completely as well.

He'd like one more help on this particular bubble:

Attached Image

'sunao ni nareba ??? ni aite wo suru zo'...I don't know how to understand "???". I think I see 真実日, but that doesn't make sense. I can't find another likely group of three kanji...Maybe it's only two kanji? But I can't make that make sense either. Maybe it's a name, but I can't make that work for anything I can find, to say nothing of within School Rumble. Maybe it's a phrase peculiar to School Rumble?? I just don't know what "???" is supposed to be. I'd just pretend it's not there and stich the rest together.

QUOTE(lightshader @ Jan 16 2012, 18:35) *

top left: "Omake:"
top mid: "For those who like rape:" (Bad tl IMO, but I'm beyond caring. The omake doesn't really have rape, and the word also implies shame/insult/disgrace...IMO, kind of "power trip", but that also changes the subject. I just can't find the perfect word.)
top right: (I'm ignoring the first/topmost line; I haven't a clue what it's referring to) "A maid training and service theme"
pointing at left girl's head: "Done in original story"
pointing at right girl's head: "Fan service in original story"
(I have no idea if either of the above 2 are accurate. That's what it looks like they're saying, to me, though.)
by left girl: "Yakumo has become a maid"
by right girl: "Sawachika has been forced to be a maid"

--------------------
+Quote Post

401 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: k999k99

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2022 - 17:48