post Jul 24 2020, 06:47
Post #1
Red of EHCOVE

Viceroy of Oook & EHCOVE cofounder
Group: Gold Star Club
Level 354 (Godslayer)

Name: phone scan / camera scan

Type: Technical

Description: Scans done using phone camera instead of a flatbed scanner, producing visibly curved (non-flat) pages.

I was discussing the scan quality with some scanners recently and the tag was suggested. Might as well discuss it here?

And before the 'we don't want people edit warring over scan quality', identifying camera scans is easy, objective, and their quality is significantly different from flatbed scanners. Frankly, one of the purposes of this tag would be to help identify galleries that need to be rescanned properly since most camera scans are pretty much beyond salvaging and effectively they are just a type of a sample. Consider also https://ehwiki.org/wiki/watermarked tag and the https://ehwiki.org/wiki/scanmark tag

Examples:
http://ehentaihip.com/g/1616312/735de10b26/
http://ehentaihip.com/g/634583/9604b9670c/
http://ehentaihip.com/g/409782/1814e75bfe/
http://ehentaihip.com/g/932510/05eb3c74ad/ (note: incorrectly tagged with sample)
http://ehentaihip.com/g/641715/efad43bd57/
http://ehentaihip.com/g/1457450/22abb1ba2e/
http://ehentaihip.com/g/1457439/4eeb545e82/

Related: If anyone wonders why we don't have tags for scan resolution (low res, high res, absurd res, whatever) see here. Frankly I'd rather see this fixed one way or another, ideally with a searchable option for average/median file resolution in a gallery, but that's not probably off topic.

Also mostly off topic, but I think sample tag is often mistagged, just look at some entries, particularly older, in http://ehentaihip.com/tag/sample/9 - lots of those are omakes or official drafts. Might as well think about some more tags to differentiate such stuff.

This post has been edited by Red_Piotrus: Aug 31 2020, 14:10

--------------------

Tag check Backlogs: expunge rename K+

Created tags you can blame me for: clamp (def, use), clone (def, use), closed eyes (def, use), dismantling (def, use), facial hair (def, use), fishnets (def, use), hair buns (def, use), headless (def, use), hood (def, use), horns (def, use), kemonomimi (def, use), missing cover (def, use), sarashi (def, use), sketch lines (def, use), soushuuhen (def, use), tail (def, use)

Tags significantly changed: filming (def, use), large tattoo (def, use), exhibitionism

Interesting tag proposals/revisions under discussion (please consider commenting): anon, below knee boots, calendar, clueless (aka naive), couple (two people having sex), eye-covering bang, hat, helmet, husband and wife (aka married couple, spouse), phone/camera scan, under knee high boots / below knee boots, watching

Tags I am thinking about proposing (be scared / PM me with comments/examples): butt plug, covered in cum, halo, high heels, metal bikini, mentally retarded, miniskirt, ribbon headband, samurai, self-sucking, socks, flora/vegetable insertion (please post examples here), veil

Play some games and rip them for the galleries

My scan commissions

Can you read Japanese? Do you want lots of GP/creds/hath? Visit our bounty subforum! Extra rewards if you translate posted EHCOVE bounties or my proposed projects here! (Also looking for editors and proofreaders).

Celebrate EHCOVE's 5th Anniversary and check out our first exclusive Artist/Game CG set release, the OPTC Nude Project: A Man's Dream

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Report PostGo to the top of the page
+Quote Post

post Jul 24 2020, 17:02
Post #2
bananapow

Casual Poster
Group: Members
Level 77 (Champion)

I think it's a good tag. Should probably use Camera Scan so people don't try to claim they used a professional camera or what have you and "Phone Scan" doesn't apply. There are tags for the type of censorship the galleries contain, seems like a similar logic to me.
+Quote Post

post Jul 24 2020, 17:18
Post #3
nasu

さき★すかん
Level 382 (Godslayer)

With the app-based scanning tech available now, there's no reason for galleries like the ones you provided - they're just straight up photos.

I wonder how easy it would be to find an example of a work scanned with [play.google.com] Google's photo scan app for example, I'm curious to see how quality is affected.

This post has been edited by nasu_sensei: Jul 24 2020, 17:24

--------------------
plz seed ♥
translated works | +karma

PM me if you need credits/GP to download a raw for TL/editing
or if you want help with tagging, renaming, expunging, etc.

Down all the following tags: (List generated Thu, 07 Jul 2022 11:25:05 UTC, 1143 galleries to go)
+Quote Post

post Jul 24 2020, 17:22
Post #4
Maximum_Joe

Legendary Poster
Level 500 (Dovahkiin)

--------------------
Try to fill your life with good things.
+Quote Post

post Aug 20 2020, 17:44
Post #5
Shapes

Casual Poster
Level 30 (Journeyman)

Eww, those galleries.
I think this tag could be useful indeed.

--------------------
You're a native English speaker? Consider helping me with proofreading, I'm always in dire need.
CODE
                                0            _         _
  --------- __o       __o      /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)
  ------- _`\<,_    _`\<,_    _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
  ------ (_)/ (_)  (_)/ (_)  (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'  _\o_
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you ask for translation help always include a link to the picture in the gallery. Japanese is totally context sensitive, sentences ripped out of context lose their meaning quickly. Say thanks with karma (+K).

Don't use Google Translate, it sucks! Use DeepL if possible, and Papago for Asian languages DeepL doesn't support yet.
Example: ウィキペディアについて、なんでもいいから、なにか話せ、時間は三十分。
GT: I can talk about Wikipedia, anything, and I have 30 minutes.
Papago: Talk about Wikipedia for half an hour.
DeepL: You have thirty minutes to tell me something, anything, about Wikipedia.
+Quote Post

post Aug 20 2020, 18:15
Post #6
SMiyano

Faceless Nasty Obese Mob
Level 265 (Godslayer)

Semi-expunging, right?

Useful, so I'd support it.
+Quote Post

post Aug 21 2020, 12:32
Post #7
Anime Janai

Active Poster
Level 411 (Dovahkiin)

Please don't exclude scans that look like camera scans but were made with a flatbed scanner. If the pages are not removed from the spine, this results in the page not being flat on the scanner glass, so the image may be slightly curved near the spine. There can also be dark shadowing at the sides, but some people get rid of it by turning up the contrast to a high level during the automated photoshop leveling process.

Because of this, I suggest that the tag description not say "camera only". The description could say "...or similar results such as curved images resulting from pressing a book down on the flatbed scanner or pages with dark shadows at one edge."

--------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
"It has become increasingly popular for your feelings to matter more than the facts and I think that's toxic to a democracy." --Edward Snowden
[archive.ph] Curious Tale of On Takahashi (Irodori) and online image galleries . . . . K+
+Quote Post

post Aug 21 2020, 23:29
Post #8
Z.G.

I'm the sukebei, for I am holding all hentai in my hands
Level 245 (Ascended)

I wish we could ban those kind of galleries... I'm for that tag, very useful.

--------------------
Please support my bouty for the glory of Amagami SS

INCEST is WINCEST
+Quote Post

post Aug 22 2020, 06:30
Post #9
PrincessKaguya

AFK
Group: Global Mods
Level 403 (Dovahkiin)

no objection to the idea.

--------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
K+ | My Uploads | Tagging 101 (Adv) | ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Entitled freeloaders and their minions have been a disaster for the human race.
+Quote Post

post Aug 23 2020, 13:41
Post #10
Red of EHCOVE

Level 354 (Godslayer)

QUOTE(Anime Janai @ Aug 21 2020, 19:32) *

Please don't exclude scans that look like camera scans but were made with a flatbed scanner. If the pages are not removed from the spine, this results in the page not being flat on the scanner glass, so the image may be slightly curved near the spine. There can also be dark shadowing at the sides, but some people get rid of it by turning up the contrast to a high level during the automated photoshop leveling process.

Because of this, I suggest that the tag description not say "camera only". The description could say "...or similar results such as curved images resulting from pressing a book down on the flatbed scanner or pages with dark shadows at one edge."

Hmmmm, doable, as in 'in spirit', and frankly, with very bad scans can we really tell the difference just visually? But let's see what Joe thinks about this extension?

--------------------

Created tags you can blame me for: clamp (def, use), clone (def, use), closed eyes (def, use), dismantling (def, use), facial hair (def, use), fishnets (def, use), hair buns (def, use), headless (def, use), hood (def, use), horns (def, use), kemonomimi (def, use), missing cover (def, use), sarashi (def, use), sketch lines (def, use), soushuuhen (def, use), tail (def, use)

Tags significantly changed: filming (def, use), large tattoo (def, use), exhibitionism

Interesting tag proposals/revisions under discussion (please consider commenting): anon, below knee boots, calendar, clueless (aka naive), couple (two people having sex), eye-covering bang, hat, helmet, husband and wife (aka married couple, spouse), phone/camera scan, under knee high boots / below knee boots, watching

Tags I am thinking about proposing (be scared / PM me with comments/examples): butt plug, covered in cum, halo, high heels, metal bikini, mentally retarded, miniskirt, ribbon headband, samurai, self-sucking, socks, flora/vegetable insertion (please post examples here), veil

My scan commissions

Can you read Japanese? Do you want lots of GP/creds/hath? Visit our bounty subforum! Extra rewards if you translate posted EHCOVE bounties or my proposed projects here! (Also looking for editors and proofreaders).

Celebrate EHCOVE's 5th Anniversary and check out our first exclusive Artist/Game CG set release, the OPTC Nude Project: A Man's Dream

+Quote Post

post Aug 23 2020, 13:46
Post #11
pork:zero

All the World's Evil
Group: Catgirl Camarilla
Level 324 (Godslayer)

If this tag is created, there's no point in differentiating between a phone, camera, or whatever.

If pages get curved one way or another, the same results occur.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Aug 24 2020, 01:47
Post #12
Anime Janai

Active Poster
Level 411 (Dovahkiin)

I am in favor of this tag.

I guess I will set aside a Favorites tag for now in anticipation of this tag being approved. I'll mark any gallery I see as a "favorite" since using Favorites to tag those will let me find them again. I otherwise can't remember.

It's too bad I saw two days ago a subtle example of the flatbed scanner being used on a doujin whose pages had not been removed from the spine. I didn't save the e-hentai URL so it is totally lost to me in the blur of a gazillion items appearing on the front page shoving items down. The uploader tried to smush it down on the glass, but there was still a slight bit of curve. There was a picture that was split across two pages. I could only make them sort of match up by rotating one of the images 2 degrees. The curvature of the pages + spine caused that to happen during scanning. After rotating, I could see all the lines match up except the top fifth of the image still didn't match due to the curvature. At that point, I had to junk it as being too flawed to upload.

Why bother reassembling an image? Well, I like to join adjacent pages (in the cases of split-apart images) and then upload those to the doujinshi database as one of the example images.

This post has been edited by Anime Janai: Aug 24 2020, 09:13

--------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
"It has become increasingly popular for your feelings to matter more than the facts and I think that's toxic to a democracy." --Edward Snowden
[archive.ph] Curious Tale of On Takahashi (Irodori) and online image galleries . . . . K+
+Quote Post

post Aug 24 2020, 09:07
Post #13
dankestdungeon

Newcomer
Group: Recruits
Level 137 (Lord)

I'm all in for this tag.
+Quote Post

post Aug 25 2020, 01:23
Post #14
Anime Janai

Active Poster
Level 411 (Dovahkiin)

The tag description should be written such that the gallery below is taggable.
http://ehentaihip.com/g/1716504/c32a10880e/

Gallery Description:
This is an artbook type gallery. But it was scanned without removing the pages from the spine. Thus, the infamous "dark shadows" appear on the part of the scanned page near the spine.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Aug 25 2020, 07:20
Post #15
Red of EHCOVE

Level 354 (Godslayer)

Agreed. Revised def:

Description: Scans done using phone camera instead of a flatbed scanner, or without debinding the pages, producing visibly curved (non-flat) pages.

I guess the name should be changed too. Any suggestions? Curved pages? But would http://ehentaihip.com/g/409782/1814e75bfe/ fit then?

--------------------

My scan commissions

+Quote Post

post Sep 4 2020, 09:14
Post #16
Anime Janai

Active Poster
Level 411 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(Red_Piotrus @ Aug 24 2020, 22:20) *

Any suggestions? Curved pages?

Image Defects - this tag also avoids the use of "poor" or "bad" in order to avoid any type of blame upon the person who made the scan. I don't want to inadvertently insult someone that spend a bunch of money to scan something without destroying the $60 to $120 book artbook.

- = - = - = - = -

As the CON argument against the tag, what counts as the defect should be explicitly described as Red Piotrus did in the prior post. Otherwise, other items may creep into the tag such as "excessive photoshop" or excessive image processing usage which resulted in blooming colors, color shifts, or more commonly the overly contrasted B/W image which lost a lot of shading detail due to the automated leveling script that people use with photoshop.

I've wanted an "Excessive Photoshop" tag for a long time. Sure, the word photoshop is being abused as a generic term for image processing here.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Sep 4 2020, 19:00
Post #17
Z.G.

Level 245 (Ascended)

Excessive photoshop wouldn't be good givne the "photoshop" part tbh.
Low scan quality?

Image defects could go, but there is always the possible, but rare?, case of a wells scanned book but having some paper tears (notably near the joint).

--------------------

INCEST is WINCEST
+Quote Post

post Sep 5 2020, 08:11
Post #18
Anime Janai

Active Poster
Level 411 (Dovahkiin)

QUOTE(Z.G. @ Sep 4 2020, 10:00) *

Excessive photoshop wouldn't be good givne the "photoshop" part tbh.
Low scan quality?

Image defects could go, but there is always the possible, but rare?, case of a wells scanned book but having some paper tears (notably near the joint).

Perhaps "Image Defects" isn't such a good tag when it "entices" people to use the tag for paper tear defects, poorly leveled images, and scans from newbie scanner users who make nice large resolution scans, but the scan is wasted due to the printed image on the other side showing through the paper. An example of this image scan defect is at:

http://ehentaihip.com/g/1725976/1adbef5fd9/

It's easiest to see on the last page where the author makes comments. You can see the printed image showing through. I put in a gallery comment and hope the scanner person won't take offense and release a bunch of low quality scans afterwards. But someone scanning can easily take offense if they spent $50 to buy and import the doujinshi, then make a high res scan only to have some twerp like me comment on a scan error. Well, I tried to make a constructive criticism based upon my past years of scanning manga and doujins.

--------------------
+Quote Post

post Sep 6 2020, 09:33
Post #19
Z.G.

Level 245 (Ascended)

Yeah that's a good example, not sure if this new tag should apply to this too?

--------------------

INCEST is WINCEST
+Quote Post

post Sep 6 2020, 13:37
Post #20
BioTube

Casual Poster
Level 165 (Lord)

From the wording of the OP, it sounds like bleedthrough wasn't an intended part of the tag, which I'd be inclined to say should be the case. I'd prefer a second tag for that.

--------------------
If even God would never know, would you still repent?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: hehehhha

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2022 - 13:26